Electricity Framework Review 2013
In 2003, CASA finalized An Emissions Management Framework for the Alberta Electricity Sector that was accepted by the Government of Alberta and implemented through regulations, standards and facility approvals. To ensure continuous improvement and to keep the Framework timely and relevant, a formal review process of the framework is to be undertaken every 5 years. The first 5-year review occurred in 2008 and the second 5-year review commenced in 2013. Both reviews included a multi-stakeholder group consisting of industry, government, non-government organizations, and communities with an interest in the electricity sector. More details are available in the Team’s Project Charter.
As the team explored the tasks in the initial assessment outlined in the project charter, interested parties reached an impasse on some key issues. As such, the team prepared an interim report to clearly document key issues and identify points where the team agreed to disagree. In addition, a more detailed account of the various perspectives is appended to the report in the individual submissions from potentially impacted parties.
The team presented its final report to the CASA Board of Directors in March 2015. At that time, there were two outstanding pieces of work – the results of the work of the Control Technologies and Reduction Strategies Task Group and the Particulate Matter Management System Task Group. These were both approved by the Board via email and discussed at the June 2015 Board meeting. At the March 2015 meeting, the Board accepted 11 consensus recommendations from the Team. An addendum to the final report was created to document the results of the Control Technologies and Reduction Strategies Task Group and the Particulate Matter Management System Task Group.
- Final Report: Report on the Second Five-Year Review of the Emissions Management Framework for the Alberta Electricity Sector (2013), June 2015
- Health and Ecological Assessment Task (HEAT) Group 2013 Review: Final Report, October 2014
- Generation and Emissions Forecast: Recommendations to the Electricity Framework Review Project Team for their consideration, March 2015
- PM Management System: Recommendations to the Electricity Framework Review Project Team for their Consideration
- Control Technologies and Reduction Strategies: Recommendations to the Electricity Framework Review Project Team for their Consideration, June 2015
Disclaimer: These reports were prepared by a third party consultant to provide advice to the team only. They are not consensus reports of the team.
Control Technologies and Reduction Strategies Task Group
- CONTROL TECHNOLOGIES REVIEW FOR GAS TURBINES IN SIMPLE CYCLE, COMBINED CYCLE AND CO-GENERATION INSTALLATIONS. Final Report, September 2014
Base Case Working Group
- Electricity Framework 5 Year Review 2013: Phase I Report, April 2014
- Electricity Framework 5 Year Review: Generation & Emissions Forecasts, October 2014
Health and Ecological Effects Task Group
- Identification of Ecological Effects of Air Emissions Associated with Electricity Generation: A Literature Search, May 2014
- Thermal electricity generation: Atmospheric emissions and associated health effects Literature review for 2008-2013, May 2014
- CHEMICAL SCREENING OF EMISSIONS ASSOCIATED WITH ELECTRICAL GENERATION FACILITIES IN ALBERTA. FINAL REPORT, July 2014